Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bre's Culinary Delight

So the other day, Breanna was enjoying her "Highlight" magazine that she gets once a month. She loves reading the stories and doing all the great little activities. That's when it happened. She came across something that sparked her interest, a Fall recipe for Pumpkin Soup. "Pumpkin Soup?" you ask. Yes, Pumpkin Soup. She said she wanted to make it for us to eat for dinner. Now you have to understand that Breanna never likes to try anything new, so for her to say she wanted to make Pumpkin Soup was huge!

So we went to the store and let her pick out the ingredients she needed. Apple juice, nutmeg, salt, apples, pumpkin, half and half, and vegetable broth. You're thinking, "Surely not. I can't think of any situation in which I would combine pumpkin pie filling and vegetable broth." That's what I thought, too. But we went home and Breanna and mommy went to work feverishly cooking Breanna's latest culinary experiment.

To make a long story not quite as long, let's just say it was an interesting meal. We all sat down at the table staring at our bowls of Pumpkin Soup. Neither Lynette nor I wanted to be the first to taste-test such a horrible looking creation. So we let Bre try it first. She took one bite and said, "Yummy!" Then Lynette and I tried it. It was truly awful! Let's just say, pumpkin and vegetable broth should never be in the same meal. As a matter of fact, I don't even think they should be stored on the same shelf in the pantry.

Lynette and I both took the obligatory couple of spoonfuls so we wouldn't feel like bad parents. Then we notice Breanna was just sitting there, not eating. I asked her what the deal was. She said, "I don't like it." Now, she usually says that about any food that's put in front of her, but I actually agreed with her this time.

"What about Brant?" you ask. What do you think? He licked the bowl clean and asked for more. At least someone benefited from all of Breanna's hard work.

On a lighter note, Breanna can whistle now. She's been practicing and is quite good. I'd say that right now she's got more of a future in music than in cooking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's at least trying to cook and new things at that.


Our Family

Breanna: Our Princess

Brant: Our Entertainer