Thursday, January 15, 2009

Breanna Runs Away From Home

So last night we got home from church and were rushing to get the kids into bed. Brant is being a good little guy and doing what he should – going potty. I kept yelling at Breanna to come upstairs and get her PJs on, but she wasn’t coming. So finally Lynette gets my attention and tells me what Breanna was doing. She had gotten into the closet and pulled out her pink suitcase and was standing in the doorway of our front door, which was open. Breanna said, “I’m going to leave.” Lynette told her that we really would prefer that she stay with us rather than moving out of the house so late at night. (Not that I’m opposed to her moving out, I just hate for her to move out so late and in the dark.) When Lynette asked her where she was going to stay, she said, “With the bugs.” She insisted that she was going to leave, so I said, “Okay, love you. See you later. Make sure you close the door behind you when you leave.” Breanna paused and said, “I’m going to leave for real.” I assured her that was fine with me. Of course, Lynette scolded me and told me to get downstairs and get her to come inside. I met her in the doorway and as she turned to head out toward the street, she stopped, turned around and said, “Daddy, do you want to come with me?” I said that Brant, Mommy and Daddy would prefer to sleep in their own beds tonight rather than out with the bugs. She lowered her head, grabbed her suitcase and walked out onto the porch. I closed the door behind her and watched from inside, curious as to what she would do. She walked over and just sat down on the ledge to the dining room window...and just sat there. She sat for about 30 seconds then came and rung the doorbell. I threw open the door and asked if she wanted to move back home. She said, “I will if you really want me to.” So her mother and I welcomed her back with open arms and celebrated her glorious homecoming. Our little prodigal had come home.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my... I wish I could have been there to see this... I wonder how long she had been planning it? And I am even more curious as to what she packed in her pink suitcase! She must have been desperate if she was going to sleep with the bugs!!! Love you guys!
-Megan

John and Lynette said...

That's the great thing - it was empty! Maybe she was going to sleep in it to protect her from the bugs?

Linda said...

Oh, my poor baby. After I finished cracking up, I just wanted to love on her.


Our Family

Breanna: Our Princess

Brant: Our Entertainer